Newly released video of the deadly shooting of a black man by a white police officer in Tennessee is spurring calls for the officer to be charged with murder. Prosecutors released surveillance footage Wednesday that appears to show Nashville police officer Andrew Delke chasing 25-year-old Daniel Hambrick last month before opening fire. Hambrick was hit three times.
The mayor has called for a comprehensive review of the police department while union officials argue the grainy images do not tell the whole story. Daniel’s family wants more answers.
Victoria Hambrick, supported by her family and attorney, believes video showing the shooting of her son Daniel Hambrick on July 26 is proof that deadly force was not justified, reports CBS News’ Mark Strassmann.
“The police officer chases him with his gun drawn…and at some point he slows down and executes him,” attorney Joy Kimbrough said.
Police say officer Delke was searching for a stolen car when he encountered Hambrick. The video appears to show Hambrick running from the officer before he was shot in the back and head. Police later tweeted a picture of a gun they say Hambrick was carrying and refused to drop. The Nashville Fraternal Order of Police argues Hambrick could have shot the officer at any moment.
“It is our firm belief that Officer Delke acted reasonably under the totality of the circumstances,” James Smallwood, the president of the Nashville Fraternal Order of Police said.
Nashville Mayor David Briley called for calm while the investigation continues but the Hambrick family believes this is an open-and-shut case.
“You can see my cousin running for his life. There’s no way that he is a threat. No way and we do want justice served for him. He did not deserve it. At all,” Daniel Hambrick’s cousin said.
Officer Delke was placed on administrative leave after the shooting. Neither the officer nor his vehicle were equipped with cameras. Hambrick’s family, along with the Nashville NAACP is demanding the FBI to conduct a civil rights investigation into the department. CBS News reached out to the police department for comment from the officer, but has not heard back.
SACRAMENTO — One of the two officers who shot and killed Stephon Clark in March was confronted by Black Lives Matter protesters on his wedding day Saturday, reports CBS Sacramento. Police haven’t released the names of the two officers who opened fire on Clark in his grandmother’s backyard, due to safety concerns.
The small group of protesters had gotten word about the wedding and made sure they were there just hours before the officer was to say, “I do.”
“I think they need to be approached in spaces where they’re a little more vulnerable,” Sacramento BLM founder Tanya Faison told the station.
According to the video released by Black Lives Matter, the officer was gathered in a room with his groomsmen Saturday when protesters barged in.
“I just wonder if you started planning your wedding before you killed Stephon Clark or after? How have you been sleeping since March 18?” said one protester in the video.
BLM says its members helped plan the confrontation ever since they found the officer’s wedding website online, with information about the venue, a vineyard about an hour outside of Sacramento.
“We’re not violent, we’re not gonna give to them what they brought to our community, we’re not gonna hurt anyone, but we are gonna make them uncomfortable, and they should — because someone is dead,” said Faison.
But community member Michel Keeley told CBS Sacramento, “As a black man … I’m concerned whenever there’s injustice on any black person. Certainly there’s a right to protest, but I think there are limits when to protest in a public place and the right of privacy for your wedding.”
Sacramento police say since the tragic shooting back in March, the two officers involved have needed additional security. They’ve received a number of death threats and are not working in a patrol capacity.
“People may think that these officers are just going about their lives, but this is a very traumatic event for everyone,” said Sgt. Vance Chandler with Sacramento Police.
The case, which drew national attention and sparked protests across the country, is still under investigation, with no word from the DA’s office on whether the officers will be indicted.
A day after the March 18 shooting, police distributed a press release that said the officers who shot Clark “saw the suspect facing them, advance forward with his arms extended, and holding an object in his hands.”
Police video of the shooting doesn’t clearly capture all that happened after Clark ran into the backyard. He initially moved toward the officers, who are peeking out from behind a corner of the house, but it’s not clear he’s facing them or that he knows they are there when they open fire after shouting “gun, gun, gun.”
After 20 shots, officers call to him, apparently believing he might still be alive and armed. They eventually approach and find no gun, just a cellphone.
“I feel that our department has handled demonstrations and protests very well and we have taken great effort’s to allow people to exercise their First Amendment rights but on this one what is the purpose of this?” he said.
That purpose, said Faison, is to remind folks that people are still hurting.
“Stephon Clark’s family is still mourning and suffering. He doesn’t get to be with his kids, or get married,” she said.
Sacramento Police Officers Association President Timothy Davis responded to the wedding protest Monday night.
“The SPOA supports transparency within our Police Department. Transparency brings trust,” he said. “Trust between our officers and the citizens they protect is an important aspect of a safe community. Our police officers are members of this community. They raise their families here. The send their children to schools here. They live their lives as a part of this community.
“Transparency comes with responsibility. Officers deserve to be free from harassment by individuals seeking their own forms of justice. True accountability can only come from our impartial judicial system and from our elected government.
“The SPOA will continue to advocate for transparency and thoughtful improvements in police policies, but we request the respect of our community. Give our officers the ability to safely raise their families alongside you.”
SPRING GROVE VILLAGE, Ohio (WKRC) – An incident involving a Cincinnati police officer using a Taser on an 11-year-old girl is under investigation.
This happened Monday at the Kroger on Kenard Avenue in Spring Grove Village. Cincinnati Police say the officer involved was working a detail and was investigating a group of girls who were allegedly shoplifting from the store.
Police said the officer approached one girl who ignored the officer and walked away, ignoring commands to stop. The officer then deployed the Taser and struck the girl in the back. She was placed into custody and charged with theft and obstructing official business.
The girl was then taken to Cincinnati Children’s Hospital for evaluation and was released into a guardian’s custody. She will appear in Hamilton County Juvenile Court at a later date.
Police Chief Eliot Isaac said in a statement Tuesday:
We are extremely concerned when force is used by one of our officers on a child of this age. As a result we will be taking a very thorough review of our policies as it relates to using force on juveniles as well as the propriety of the officers actions.
The officer involved has been put on restricted duty pending the outcome of the investigation.
Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman who chairs the Law and Public Safety Committee told Cincinnati Police he wants answers Wednesday, including any surveillance video from the store or the officer’s body camera. Smitherman says he’s troubled when any child is tased.
Update: Officer on ‘restricted duty’ after allegedly tasing 11-year-old girl
Update: Charges dropped vs. girl, 11, Tased for stealing from a Kroger market
Charges have been dropped against an 11-year-old Ohio girl who was suspected of shoplifting from a supermarket when a police officer shocked her with a stun gun. Cincinnati Mayor John Cranley said Wednesday night that stunning the girl who “posed no danger to the police” was wrong.
The encounter happened Monday night at a Kroger in the city. Police say the officer suspected the girl was using a backpack to shoplift when he approached her. They say the girl resisted and tried to flee before she was shocked with the stun gun. The girl was taken to a hospital and released.
She initially was charged with theft and obstruction of justice, but the mayor says he asked the prosecutor to drop the charges.
An investigation is underway.
CBS Cincinnati affiliate WKRC-TV says the girl’s mother wants the policy that led to the Tasing changed.
The station says it’s not in dispute that the girl stole some snacks from the Kroger, was told by an officer to stop and didn’t, and was then Tased.
Currently, Tasers can be used on people ages 7 to 70 actively resisting arrest, WKRC says.
Donna Gowdy doesn’t understand why her daughter, who isn’t even 5-feet tall or 100 pounds, needed to be Tased for shoplifting.
“I just wish that he would have thought of a different way of going about it other than Tasing her,” Gowdy said.
According to WKRC, Cincinnati police say it was an off-duty officer working security at the store who Tased the girl in the back when she wouldn’t stop.
“I know everybody probably be like, ‘Well, you know, she stole,’ or whatever, but that’s not the issue at this point. The issue is that how he went about it,” Gowdy said.
She says Police Chief Eliot Isaac came to her home Tuesday night to talk about what happened. She says she wants a full investigation and the opportunity to see the findings.
Vice Mayor Christopher Smitherman also wants a full investigation, and, like Gowdy, wants the policy to change.
“Seven is too young; let’s move it to 12,” said Smitherman. “What caught my attention was the chief making a decision (to put the officer on) desk duty, and that gave me some indication that the chief thought there were some concerns about what had happened,” Smitherman said.
Police Chief Isaac released a statement saying, “We are extremely concerned when force is used by one of our officers on a child of this age. As a result, we will be taking a very thorough review of our policies as it relates to using force on juveniles as well as the propriety of the officer’s actions.”
Gowdy she says she hopes her daughter learns from this mistake.
“I understand that the stealing and everything was wrong, but how he went about it, it didn’t have to happen, and two wrongs don’t make a right,” Gowdy says.
South Whitehall Township Police Officer Jonathan Roselle was charged Tuesday with one count of voluntary manslaughter, unreasonable belief, in the shooting death of Joseph Santos on July 28, said Jim Martin, district attorney for the central Pennsylvania county.
That evening, Santos was reportedly interfering with traffic along Route 222 near Dorney Park and Wildwater Kingdom. Witnesses said the man damaged cars and, at one point, ripped the window out of a vehicle.
Roselle responded to the scene and confronted Santos. Authorities said the officer told Santos several times to stand down before he opened fire.
Santos, 44, of Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey, was struck at least once. He was taken to Lehigh Valley Cedar Crest Hospital where he died from his injuries.
Roselle, a new officer who graduated from the police academy in December 2017, was placed on paid administrative leave pending an investigation, Martin said. The 33-year-old officer served with the U.S. Army in Afghanistan and is a major in the National Guard.
After the shooting, Roselle told other officers who responded to the scene that he “f—ed up” and thought Santos was coming at him, according to Martin.
Defense attorneys said in a statement that Roselle, who is on paid leave, believes his actions were justified and appropriate given the circumstances.
Several Facebook users posted a witness’ video of the police-involved shooting. The video showed Santos walking toward a police vehicle and an officer is heard repeatedly telling him to get on the ground.
Santos continued walking toward the vehicle as the sound of gunfire erupted. The man then fell to the ground.
An investigation found that Santos was walking toward and not rushing toward the officer, Martin said.
Santos wasn’t complying with the officer’s demands and could be heard saying “don’t do it” before the officer opened fire, Martin said.
Martin said evidence shows the unarmed man posed no danger to the officer. The DA also said prosecutors do not believe race was a factor. Santos is Hispanic and of Puerto Rican descent while Roselle is white.
Later, a second set of videos surfaced showing a man later identified by police as Santos, hanging off of moving cars and jumping onto the hood of a police SUV.
In a Facebook post alongside those videos, Nadia Elizabeth said Santos jumped a fence around Dorney Park and interfered with three cars as they rolled down the busy highway.
“He didn’t exit the park like a rational member of society but more of that of a criminal that was up to no good,” she wrote. “I witnessed Joseph Santos act like a complete maniac and scare the lives of those behind the wheel.”
Officials continue to investigate the incident and urge witnesses to come forward.
Roselle surrendered and was arraigned Tuesday. He is being held without bail. It’s unclear if he has an attorney who could comment on his behalf.
Detroit police officer suspended after video shows him repeatedly punching naked woman in a hospital
The officer has been suspended after the video surfaced, DPD Chief James Craig said.
During a Thursday morning news conference, Craig said he’s disturbed by what he saw in the video.
“We recognize that when you see the video, it’s very troubling,” Craig said.
They are here to serve and protect.
Smith College is investigating after police were called to investigate a black student who was eating her lunch in a common room.
“This shouldn’t happen to anyone at all,” Oumou Kanoute said crying.
Kanoute is a rising sophomore at Smith College. She works at a summer program teaching chemistry to high schoolers for Smith’s STEM program and was reading in the dining hall of the Tyler House dorm Tuesday.
“Next thing you know, I see the cop walk in with a Smith employee whom I’ve never seen before and the man asked me, ‘we were wondering why you’re here?’” Kanoute said.
She says police told her an employee had called about a suspicious black man. She recorded video with her phone, adding her own text on Instagram, with a post that’s prompted outrage from supporters.
“No student of color should have to explain why they belong at prestigious white institutions,” she wrote. “I worked my hardest to get into Smith, and I deserve to feel safe on my campus.”
She added: “All I did was be black.”
“It just still upsets me to just talk about it because I don’t even feel safe on my own campus and I’m away from home. I’m the first in my family to go to college. I’m doing this not only for me but for my family, for my ancestors,” Kanoute told WBZ-TV
Smith’s president sent a statement apologizing and assuring the student, “That she belongs in all Smith spaces. This painful incident reminds us of the ongoing legacy of racism and bias in which people of color are targeted while simply going about the business of their daily lives…building an inclusive, diverse and sustainable community is urgent and ongoing work.”
Kanoute appreciates the apology but wants more.
“I want the identity of the caller released,” she says. “I want a public apology from that caller and I want them fired from the school.”
Smith’s administration says privacy laws prevent them from releasing the name, so Kanoute has turned to social media with a plea for help.
“I tried to like shake it off. I didn’t even want to speak up and speak out because I know not everyone’s going to agree with what you need to say. Not everyone’s going to listen to you,” Kanoute says. “I’m just so upset.”
I hear about stories like this and can’t help but think, there’s more to this story then we are being told.
I’m a man that thinks the cops walk all over everyone and shoot anything that moves. Who ever is doing the training for the cops needs to think again, next time it could be his family they shoot.
You know how uncomfortable it is to talk to a cop these days knowing they could shoot you for any reason they wish and never get in trouble for it by saying “I was in fear of my life” Why are they cops if they are afraid of everyone.
They are trained to see bad in everyone and everyone has a gun.
Police shoot, kill resident who shot home intruder.
The PSDC received another 911 call from an adult female at 10609 East Montview Boulevard advising an adult male intruder was breaking into her home.
Aurora Police Officers arrived to a very chaotic and violent scene at 10609 East Montview Boulevard. While on scene officers heard gunshots fired from inside the home, and encountered an armed adult male. An officer discharged his firearm striking the armed male who was transported to the hospital where he later succumbed to his injuries.
The officers then cleared the home to ensure the scene was safe. Inside, officers found an injured juvenile and the deceased adult male intruder on the bathroom floor. The injured juvenile was later transported to a local hospital for serious, but non-life-threatening injuries, caused by the deceased intruder.
Further investigation revealed the armed male encountered by the officer was a resident of the home. Our preliminary investigation has revealed the deceased intruder on the bathroom floor was fatally shot by the armed adult male resident.
The names of the decedents will be released by the Adams County Coroner’s Office once they have been positively identified and next of kin have been notified.
The involved officer has been placed on administrative reassignment with pay as per Aurora Police Department Policy.
According to the statement, Thurman Blevins allegedly ignored multiple commands to show his hands, took a gun out of his pocket and turned toward the officers in the June incident. The two officers fired a total of 14 shots, with four hitting Blevins, according to authorities.
“Mr. Blevins represented a danger to the lives of” the officers, thereby making the shooting “authorized” under state law, Hennepin County attorney Mike Freeman said in a statement.